Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jeff turns 31!

DSC_03562008-12-11_19-33-59

Since Jeff has a December birthday, I did a snowflake theme cake. The snowflakes are melted white chocolate. My favorite was seeing Jeff's surprised and delighted face.

DSC_03752008-12-11_19-37-23

DSC_03862008-12-12_17-11-57

A little out of order, but we had potatoes and pot roast for Jeff's birthday dinner. Sienna really liked the potatoes.

In honor of Jeff, I had a list of 31 things you may or may not know about my muffin-scruffin.

1. He is fabulously handsome.

2. He loves being a dad.

3. When he comes home from work, instead of wanting wind down time for himself, he immediately gives me a break from mommy chores. He scoops up the kids and plays with them while I sneak away for time to myself.

4. For the first 3 months after Ethan was born I was getting up at night to nurse Ethan and help him go back to sleep (every 2 hours). Jeff got up with me and sat next me just to keep me company.

5. He gives the best foot rubs.

6. He gives the best head scratches.

7. He builds snowmen every year with Ethan.

8. The other night, Ethan was up crying with an ear infection all night. I think they were finally able to sleep from 6:30 am to 9am. Jeff held him in his arms the whole night while I slept on and off. Jeff's back ached, but it was the only way to comfort Ethan and help our son sleep.

9. Jeff was once an ice cream man and drove a 3-wheeled ice cream truck.

10. He is an excellent marksman.

11. Jeff has great snow-driving skills.

12. After a big snow-storm hit Seattle. Every time Jeff passes someone who is stuck, he stops to offer help.

13. He swoons me by playing his saxophone.

14. The only way he can practice his saxophone is by letting the kids jump around and dance around him. They enjoy throwing bananas and Cheerios into the horn.

15.He loves doing secret service. When we were living in Utah in an apartment on campus, our cars were under a layer of snow and ice during winter. He would not only brush off the snow and chip off the ice on our own car, but our neighbors' as well. Then sneak away and make me promise not to tell.

16. Jeff loves fireworks. A little too much.

17. When proposed to me, he took me to Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon, reenacted our first date, read a list of 100 things he loved about me. He proposed; I said yes!

18. He lets me cut his hair, even though he often hears, "oops" and "uh-oh" frequently.

19. Ethan was never motivated to potty-train until Dad was home for a few weeks. Attention and time with Dad was way better than all the toys and candy I had previously tried to bribe him with.

20. Jeff once stood between me and an angry, charging buffalo at Yellowstone National Park. If you want the full story, just ask.

21. Jeff is really humble. He'll be embarrassed when he reads these.

22. Jeff's a really good gospel teacher (he thinks he's average, but I know better). Jeff taught a lesson once during ward conference, when two members of the stake presidency were present. Jeff did a great job. He was humble and really just let the gospel teach itself. The Spirit was strong. Afterwards, one stake presidency member leaned over to the other and said, "That's how we want our teachers to teach!"

22. Jeff can eat a whole pumpkin pie in two days.

23. Jeff is very complimentary of my cooking.

24. Jeff treats his mother well and loves her dearly.

25. Jeff loves and respects his dad.

26. Jeff is very patriotic and loves his country. Not always so crazy about some of the politicians, but loves our freedoms.

27. My first time snowboarding didn't go so well. After falling down for the 15th time, I sat on the edge of the run and cried. Jeff sat next to me and held me for a while until I felt like getting up and trying again.

28. Jeff is very honest.

29. Jeff is a great kisser.

30. My pregnancies have been pretty rough. Whenever I've been complaining, he always tells me how much he appreciates what I'm going through so he can be a dad.

31. Jeff loves the Lord and the gospel. He does everything he can to ensure that we can be a forever family.

4 comments:

Groshon said...

Julie your cake was beautiful! You always do such a great job and you are such a great mom and wife to my brother! We are happy to have you in our family!

I loved reading about Jeff from your perspective! Good job on writing it all down, it will be great for you guys to look back on in years to come :)

Christine said...

Sounds like you have the sweetest husband. We should get our families together one day (perhaps after all the snow is gone :) ).

Tasha Horsley said...

That was very sweet of you Julie. Jeff's a great person and so are you! You are wonderful examples to Pete and I and we are so happy to be able to spend time with you both.

Happy Birthday Jeff! You have such a proud wife and she is such an amazing cake maker!

I love the snowflakes!!!!!!! You are so talented. :)

Emily said...

I love that post and that cake!