Monday, August 25, 2008

Ward Camp Out 7/25/2008

We ran up to Cascade Park with our ward for on evening of visiting with our friends and a dessert pot-luck. Ethan and Sienna loved playing in the tent. Ethan especially loved the barrel swing and throwing rocks in the river. Given our sleepless vacation in Canada, I took Sienna home that night while Ethan got his first taste of camping with Dad. Sienna and I got a delightful night's sleep back at home, while Jeff and Ethan...well...

Hi folks -- Jeff here...This is my cue to write, as I lived this portion of the camping trip first hand:

As awesome as Ethan thought the tent was during the day, that enthusiasm was short lived by the time we had to crawl inside to sleep. We each began with a sleeping bag, and several quilts beneath us for comfort. However, Ethan could not get comfortable, and so he woke up every 10 minutes or so crying. This went on until about 2am, at which point, he finally blurted out (in his near sleep), "I can't sleep on ROCKS!!"

I interpreted this to mean he wasn't a big fan of the hard ground, but I was proud knowing that I was preparing him to be a man...ok, I know he's only 3. So, I decided to man up, and I re-arranged our tent. This entailed stacking both sleeping bags on top of one another with all the blankets underneath...all but one that is. Ethan slept nicely after this as I took his old spot on the ground with the one remaining blanket. As I laid down, I found that big rock he was complaining about. However, due to lack of sleep, I was able to adapt nicely and ignore the lump.

The next day Ethan and I went down the river in rafts with a couple dozen other church members. This was a calm and lazy river ride. The raft that Ethan (yes, he wore his lifejacket) and I were in was a massive survival raft -- about the size of a trampoline. Not kidding. When we came to rocks poking up out of the water, this thing just rolled right over them with very little in the way of bumps. There were about 8 or 9 other people on it. The biggest issue though was that it had a few small holes that continued to leak throughout the trip. Someone solved this by bring along a large hand pump. I'm really glad I had Ethan to hold onto, because the guy holding the pump got a workout. It turned out to be a very fun experience with no troubles...aside from having to constantly inflate the thing.

OK, that's my version...back to Julie....

D80_1938

D80_1930

No comments: